From Jean-Louis Boudart <jeanlouis.boud...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: EasyAnt Build
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:45:26 GMT
2011/3/23 Purkayastha, Siddhartha <Siddhartha.Purkayastha@ca.com>

> IMHO, it is okay to have documentation that we are shipping to be less
> likely to change between the time of two releases. For example,
> architecture, design, tutorials, reference documentation etc. But, may be
> for development tips, how to build (bootstrap using easyant or simply ant),
> any pointers of setting up IDE or other dev help / notes, a wiki may be
> better. Only my thoughts, though I do not feel very strongly about this.

So it would probably better to have those information on our website instead
of in the documentation.
Having a wiki could be useful but for enduser its a bit upside down.

________________________________

Yes we can remove it

> > 3. I tried to bootstrap the build of the current version on HEAD using
> > EasyAnt 0.8 but, that did not work.I am wondering given that EasyAnt is
> > dependent on Ant, is it really worthwhile to build easyant using itself?
> > Even if we are using EasyAnt, internally it is still Ant. The EasyAnt
> build
> > itself will be much easier to understand then.
>

> There are two options  to bootstrap easyant distribution :
>  * using deploy target our build.xml for bootstraping target/dist (it
> basically compile easyant-core and invokes EasyAntMain under the hood)
>  * using another easyant distribution
>
> Being able to build easyant using itsellf allow us to reuse existing
> plugins.
>
> Even if we use ant under the hood of easyant it's not possible (yet) to use
> easyant plugins outside of easyant as we extends some classes of ant core
> (Main, ProjectHelper) to support phases. Note that our plugins also uses
> easyant tasks (<ea:parameter> for example).
>
> I must admit that it's a bit complex, but this would probably refactored
> when we will have a public repository for plugins as we will refactor our
> build  and distribution.
>
> Siddhartha: Makes sense.
>

> > 4. Currently, after running the EasyAnt build, I see three directories
> > being created inside target: dist, distribution, and distributions. Other
> > than dist, the other two directories are empty. Should we be retaining
> all
> > three? Are the three meant to serve different purposes?
> >
> target/dist = is a local distribution of easyant (used for developpment of
> easyant-core itself)
> target/distribution and target/distributions seems redundant to me. They
> are
> both used to store easyant distribution archives (zip, tarballs, etc...)
> Siddhartha: Should I create a JIRA for this and removing the override
> annotation?

As far as i know there is no explicit rule for this @Apache.
By the way i would recommend to trace everything impacting the code on Jira.

--
Jean Louis Boudart
Independent consultant