From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Third Party Jars
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:08:50 GMT
I took time to read (again) the asf literature about licensing. And I find [1] actually quite
confusing. The first question is about dependency (runtime, compile time ?) of an asf product.
Then second one is about inclusion (in svn, in the tgz ?).

I then searched in the legal jira, and I have found some similar issue.
[2] says it is ok for an optional dependency
[3] says its not ok, but there is some comment pointing that is is not talking about optional
dependencies.
[4] says it is ok to distribute such files as soon as there are for the build

But I guess the answer is there [5] as Stefan pointed out:
> We're not giving blanket approval of "LGPL licensed works in optional features that are
not enabled by default", rather that's a criteria the Legal Affairs PMC considers on items.

So we would have to ask for the Legal Affairs PMC if we want to release a such checkstyle
easyant plugin.

So I guess, as suggested by Antoine, having such plugin released outside the asf is the safe
move. Hoping there is not much build related tools with viral license.

Nicolas

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-18
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-49