From "Purkayastha, Siddhartha" <Siddhartha.Purkayas...@ca.com>
Subject EasyAnt Build
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:07:42 GMT
Hi All -

I was looking at EasyAnt after a long time today.

While we are discussing infrastructural and legal issues, I thought of bringing up a few technical
points / questions:

1. Is there a place which we can develop as developer's guide? I guess it may be very helpful
for interested developers to work on EasyAnt. To start with: documenting the set up and build
process, a design description - which we could gradually develop over time? Is there something
like that already I dont know of ..  :-). I think a wiki was mentioned in some previous discussion.
Can we try to make it a repository of developer resources?

2. The EasyAnt build on head now seems to have a problem. I am not sure if I have the ant
dependencies on my setup correct, so did not try to make any fix. Import.java, line 166 is
using an @Override annotation whereas the method is not a superclass inheritance. This is
causing the build to fail. I tried running ant clean dist and easyant with a preexisting ant
1.8.2 install.

3. I tried to bootstrap the build of the current version on HEAD using EasyAnt 0.8 but, that
did not work.I am wondering given that EasyAnt is dependent on Ant, is it really worthwhile
to build easyant using itself? Even if we are using EasyAnt, internally it is still Ant. The
EasyAnt build itself will be much easier to understand then.

4. Currently, after running the EasyAnt build, I see three directories being created inside
target: dist, distribution, and distributions. Other than dist, the other two directories
are empty. Should we be retaining all three? Are the three meant to serve different purposes?

Thanks,
Siddhartha