From Jean-Louis Boudart <jeanlouis.boud...@gmail.com>
Subject Roadmap and priorities
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:16:37 GMT
Hi easyanters,

Let's start a new thread to discuss about roadmap and main priorities for
next months/releases.

Here are my suggestions :

*About migration itself*
We've migrated mailling list and statuted to turn read only the old one.
We've imported the source code without history into incubator repository.
EasyAnt project has been created and initialized with all open tickets at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EASYANT

However current situation is a bit complex as we're still "in transition"
between old infrastructure and new one.

IMHO the main priority is to move the website (or at least to have a real
one instead of a redmine instance :p). The website needs to be easy to
update and provide link to all important resources (issues management, svn,
mailling list, donwloads).

In a second time we need to discuss about our old infrastructure.
Should we keep our redmine instance accessible ? Should we make a redirect
to the new website ?
Should we keep our old SVN with all history accessible ?
Should we keep our own hudson instance (pointing to Apache Incubator
repository) ? or should we move to Apache one ?

*About easyant itself*
We already realized part of 0.9 perimeter (see JIRA for more details). I
voluntary didn't affect unresolved tickets to 0.9 so it's time to discuss
about changes that should be included here.
Some open ideas (in order of priority) :

   - Refactoring project structure : EasyAnt project is an all in one
   project creating easyant-core.jar + distribution. As Nicolas pointed out
   easyant distribution comes with a third-party repository containing all
   librairies used by easyant or nested plugins.  Original idea behind this was
   to have everything needed in the distribution. However as we have more and
   more plugins our third party is growing and making our distribution
heavy.  It's
   probably time to build an online repository for EasyAnt. Between 0.7 and 0.8
   there was around 6 month, this was mostly due to new additionnal  plugin
   (maven-publication for example). Those additionnal plugin should not "lock"
   the release. Having an online repository should allow us to make release of
   plugins independently of easyant core (except if a plugin needs to use a
   recent feature of easyant-core).
   - Provide a way to make "distributable build"  : When using
   "distributable build" you bring all resources you need to build the project
   (plugins/buildtypes, project dependencies)  in the project structure. You
   can imagine this as a "local" project repository. Then you can distribute
   your project with this "local project repository", and people would be able
   to rebuild  it from everywhere.
   - Get rid of phases in favor of extensionPoint (see
   http://groups.google.com/group/easyant/browse_thread/thread/a680682d4d843861
   get more details)

Things we can do later (in a future releases)

   - Plugin conflict management (EASYANT-13 on jira) : Currently, plugins
   are resolved on the fly based on declaration in module.ivy/module.ant.
   Conflict between plugins is currently managed at ant level. However this is
   a huge limitation as a user can't override the version used of a given
   plugin in a buildtype for example. The best solution would be to bring this
   conflict management at ivy level (at resolve time) and let ivy manage at
   least conflict of redundant plugins / dependencies.
   - MultiModule project summary
(EASYANT-9<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EASYANT-9> on
   jira) : Idea here is to make a short summary (the build order of
   submodule for example) before running targets to submodules. At the end it
   should also display some information like build status of each roject and
   execution time)
   - Working in offline mode
   - Support Multi language as input (Pure XML Ant, Groovy through
   GroovyFront, Java through JavaFront) for plugins

*About easyant4e (eclipse plugin)*
Having an integration with common IDE like eclipse is a MUST have feature.
If we want to seduce users we need to answer this (in particular on
enterprise projects).

I don't think there is much to do to release a beta of the eclipse plugin.
So releasing at least a beta as soon as possible would be great.
*

About organisation and communication
*In the early stages of easyant i was dreaming of respecting as much as
possible the rule "release early, release often". In the last month i have
been less active than i expected. Refactoring the directory structure and
having an online repository to release plugin in an independant way of
easyant-core itself would help us a lot.

Now that we reach Apache Incubator we should take the opportunity to do our
main refactoring (get rid of Phases in favor of extensionPoint). Even if we
would do our best to make it transparent for users it will have a short
impact on plugins so plugin writter would probably wait our refactoring
before playing with easyant.

After that it will be easier to make communication about easyant project.
I suggest the following things to promote easyant  :

   - register a twitter account to publish "hot news" and release
   announcement (login/password will be shared on easyant-private)
   - organize online meeting (for example on IRC) to discuss about easyant
   future (missing feature, bugs, enhancement). This does not intent to replace
   the ML ! I'm volunteer of making a summary of this kind of online meeting on
   the ML.

Feel free to give your +1/-1 about all this ideas or to suggest yours.
Once we get all agree i'll update the roadmap on jira (and create missing
tickets).

Cheers,
--
Jean Louis Boudart