From Antoine Levy-Lambert <anto...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Roadmap and priorities
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:04:41 GMT
On 2/24/2011 12:13 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2011-02-24, Jean-Louis Boudart wrote:
>
>> As i said this does not intent to replace the ML, so we shouldn't take any
>> binding decision there.
>> I think it's often easier to start discussion there,  ideas can be shared
>> "in live" and then voted on the ML,  it's also a good area to discuss with
>> each other.
>> It's just a way to create "in live interactions" between commiters and/or
>> users. Do you see what i mean?
> Not really, but that could be me.  I have never used IRC for anything
> much and don't really like it, YMMV.  I don't recall any fruitful
> discussion I ever had via IRC while I recall many of them via email.
I have done recently a tiny development on Apache Directory Server and
the directory developers use a lot of IRC.
Not to make big decisions, but either to ask each other practical
questions or sometimes to explore new ideas.
They repeat anything which is strategic by email. They seem to be doing
like 100 commits per day with 4 or 5 developers
so the pace of development is much higher than on Ant currently :-)
> Keep in mind that you are discriminating on timezones[1] for any sort of
> synchronous communication (IRC, IM, phone calls, whatever).  You can
> discuss whatever you want on IRC, you will probably have to rehash it
> again on the list since people who have been unable to join on IRC will
> bring up questions/issues you thought you had already covered.
>
> If it didn't happen on the mailing list it didn't happen.[2]
>
> Stefan
>
> [1] Even if EasyAnt development currently seems to be located in France
>      more or less exclusively.  Right now.
>
> [2] I should probably attribute this to Roy Fielding but right now I'm
>      too lazy to look up the reference for a real quote.
Regards,

Antoine