From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test Case for Inability to run a Distributed Drill Query (on JSON files on FS).
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2014 21:18:27 GMT
On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@apache.org> wrote:

> Ted,
> I'm not sure what you're suggesting.  Drill uses zk to find out about other
> nodes.  As such, the only nodes it will know about are the nodes that have
> the same zk setup.

If a ZK client has a connection string that contains members of multiple ZK
clusters, then the client connect to different ZK nodes each time it
connects.  This can lead to massive confusion.  If a Drillbit uses multiple
connections, those connections could actually connect to different ZK
nodes.  Thus, the drill bit might register with one ZK on one connection,
but use another to find other drill bits.  The Curator library tends to use
a style in which connections are used for fairly local purposes, so this
isn't all that far-fetched.

Similarly, if each drill bit actually is running a solo embedded ZK, a user
could be confused about what is happening.  If somebody touched multiple
drill bits and checked the ZK configs on each node, the problem would be
obvious.