From Timothy Chen <tnac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help regarding new storage plugin and Query parser documentation
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2014 21:56:34 GMT
Hi Ananth,

Unforunately there isn't any documentation listing all the specific
steps to add a new storage plugin, although that will be super helpful
for anyone interested.

I think the easiest way is to look at the last two storage plugins
that were added, as they're independent modules which are in
contrib/storage-mongo and contrib/storage-hbase.

The MongoDB plugin basically was added with one commit:
2ca9c907bff639e08a561eac32e0acab3a0b3304

About adding a custom query parser, it's definitely doable and there
isn't much documentation to refer to,

I think the best example I can think of as a reference is probably
what Yash did for adding Pig Latin support:

https://github.com/yssharma/pig-on-drill/commit/b2d8a23c11d03974e16eb2ff44e021b1e957f03f

Let us know if you need more help,

Tim

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Ananth Gundabattula
<agundabattula@threatmetrix.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to experiment with Drill a bit for a project and have the following two questions
:

> 1. Is there any documentation how to generate a storage plugin for Drill ?
>
> 2. Is there any documentation as to how plugin a custom query parser ? - Basically the
Data warehouse we are building is a mix of many systems and a given query can be answered
by more than one subsystem. However we would like the query to be answered by analyzing the
query on the fly and route it to the best sub-system that can answer the query. Drill seems
to be an excellent option as it also provides a jDBC driver option. However on looking at
the Drill wiki, I could not find any document which gives an idea as to how to plugin both
a new Storage engine and a new Query parser that meets criteria for “rewriting an incoming
query”