From Kyrill Alyoshin <kyrill...@gmail.com>
Subject Auto-aliasing of HBase columns in Drill queries
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 22:14:41 GMT
Guys,

We have an HBase system (MapR M7 to be precise) where we store data in
HBase tables under aliased columns. What I mean is that the column keys are
physically named as '1', '2', '3', etc. This is done to save on storage of
data. Typically we use Cascading/Cascalog to query this data. We were able
to add an aliasing layer in our Cascading queries (through Cascading
extension) to allow human readable queries (i.e. using 'firstName' alias
instead of '1').

We'd like to try out Drill for SQL based access. Where should we start
"drilling" in the Drill's code base to develop similar extensions? I am
assuming that Drill currently provides no such functionality out of the
box.

In other words, instead of our HBase query looking like this:

SELECT cast(account[*‘1’*] as varchar(20)) as `Address`

we'd like it to look like this from a user perspective:

SELECT cast(account[*‘address’*] as varchar(20)) as `Address`

Any help in direction is greatly appreciated. We can easily volunteer to
provide such a contribution ourselves, just let us know where to start
"drilling". :-)

Thank you very much!

-Kyrill