From Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jdbc driver usage
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:03:50 GMT
You can access Drill via JDBC and run in embedded mode using the entire set
of jar files shipped with Drill.  If you want an application to start up an
internal Drillbit, you'll need to add all of these to the classpath.

You can Drill can also access a remote cluster of Drillbits with the much
simpler and smaller thing jdbc driver (distributed in the jars/jdbc-driver
directory of the tarball).  This makes use with third party applications
simpler/smaller.  However, this Drill JDBC driver does not support running
an embedded Drillbit.  You  need to be running a Drillbit somewhere to use
this.

We should make the error message clearer.  Can you file a JIRA for this?