From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Drill with Spark
Date Sat, 17 May 2014 01:11:00 GMT
Drill is a very different tool from spark or even from Spark SQL (aka
Shark).

There is some overlap, but there are important differences.  For instance,

- Drill supports weakly typed SQL.

- Drill has a very clever way to pass data from one processor to another.
 This allows very efficient processing

- Drill generates code in response to query and to observed data.  This is
a big deal since it allows high speed with dynamic types

- Drill supports full ANSII SQL, not Hive QL.

- Spark supports programming in Scala

- Spark ties distributed data object to objects in a language like Java or
Scala rather than using a columnar form.  This makes generic user written
code easier, but is less efficient.