From Andrew Brust <andrew.br...@bluebadgeinsights.com>
Subject RE: High-level architecture
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:13:32 GMT
Great stuff.  Just tweeted.

     Andrew J. Brust
     Founder and CEO
     andrew.brust@bluebadgeinsights.com<mailto:andrew.brust@bluebadgeinsights.com>
     (646) 688-3432

    Getting Microsoft. Right.
     http://www.bluebadgeinsights.com<http://www.bluebadgeinsights.com/>

     Microsoft Regional Director<http://www.microsoftregionaldirectors.com/> and MVP<http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/>
     Big Data Blogger<http://blogs.zdnet.com/big-data>, ZDNet/CBS Interactive
     Columnist, Redmond Review<http://tinyurl.com/redmondreview> in Visual Studio Magazine<http://visualstudiomagazine.com/>
and Redmond Developer News<http://reddevnews.com/>
     Visual Studio Live!<http://www.vslive.com/> Chair, NYC .NET Developers Group Co-moderator<http://www.nycdotnetdev.com/>
and MS BI User Group of NYC<http://www.msbinyc.cin/> Founder
     Advisory Board Member, New York Technology Council<http://www.nytech.org/>
     Co-author, Programming Microsoft SQL Server 2012<http://www.amazon.com/dp/0735658226>
(Microsoft Press)

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Hausenblas [mailto:michael.hausenblas@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:06 AM
To: Apache Drill User
Subject: High-level architecture

All,

Motivated by the fact that I find myself explaining Drill more and more often lately I thought
it might be useful to provide a high-level view on the architecture of Drill. So, I gave it
a shot and you can find the result at [1] - note that also the OmniGraffle source is attached
to this page in case someone wants to tweak it.

This high-level architecture diagram was created with the following in mind:

* Providing a quick overview of the features, interfaces and ecosystem ...

* ... while aiming not *only* at a technical audience

* Summarising the various discussions around desired data sources and query languages supported

One aspect I find very important and that I tried to highlight is the human in the loop: being
an interactive system, this should clearly be in the centre of attention?

Cheers,

                                Michael

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DRILL/High-level+Architecture

--