From Jacques Nadeau <jacques.dr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: High-level architecture
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:33:27 GMT
On Jan 29, 2013, at 7:10 AM, Michael Hausenblas
<michael.hausenblas@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Like it.
>
> Thanks. Glad you find it useful.
>

>> You should probably add jdbc and odbc as input and output interfaces
>

> Agreed, direct RDBMS access should be there. Would a further data source at the bottom
capture that or do you mean (also) in the top right corner (extending REST, etc.)? Unsure
how to express this best ...

Both.

> Cheers,
>        Michael
>
> --
> Michael Hausenblas
> Ireland, Europe
> http://mhausenblas.info/
>
> On 29 Jan 2013, at 15:01, Jacques Nadeau <jacques.drill@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Like it.  You should probably add jdbc and odbc as input and output interfaces
>>

>> On Jan 29, 2013, at 5:06 AM, Michael Hausenblas
>> <michael.hausenblas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Motivated by the fact that I find myself explaining Drill more and more often
lately I thought it might be useful to provide a high-level view on the architecture of Drill.
So, I gave it a shot and you can find the result at [1] - note that also the OmniGraffle source
is attached to this page in case someone wants to tweak it.

>>> This high-level architecture diagram was created with the following in mind:
>>>
>>> * Providing a quick overview of the features, interfaces and ecosystem ...
>>> * ... while aiming not *only* at a technical audience
>>> * Summarising the various discussions around desired data sources and query languages
supported

>>> One aspect I find very important and that I tried to highlight is the human in
the loop: being an interactive system, this should clearly be in the centre of attention?