From Jacques Nadeau <jacques.dr...@gmail.com>
Subject What do you want out of Apache Drill?
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 18:36:05 GMT
Hello all,

It would be extremely helpful if we built a community list of target user
flows for Apache Drill.  Having a clear set of targets like this will make
it substantially easier to validate our deign decisions and implementations
along the way.   Think of this as an equivalent activity to defining the
classic Word Count (Hadoop, Pig), Northwind query example (MSSQL), hello
world (...), etc.  To that end, please spend some time sharing your use
cases on this thread.  As part of this, please let us know whether these
are hypothetical or real.

Once created, getting community comments across each user flow will help to
define what features are most useful to which groups of users.   However,
if people are critical of early uses cases that are shared, others will be
less likely to contribute.  As such, I'd prefer that this sharing exercise
be more about expanding the possibility space rather than prioritizing it.

While comments like "Faster Hive" or "more compliant SQL" are useful, it
would be more helpful if you spent more time describing the particular data
flows that you run today (including data sources), what your pain points
are and things that you can't do today but would like to do.

I'd also love to have someone raise their hand to collate this data and
continue to drive collection and later efforts around this.

So, What do you want Apache Drill to help you with?

Thanks,
Jacques