From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What do you want out of Apache Drill?
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2012 01:13:15 GMT
On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Julian Hyde <julianhyde@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 A SQL interface (in addition to DrQL interface)

With your help, this may arrive before DrQL is integrated.

> 2 JDBC driver

Should be pretty straightforward.  Not on anybody's task list just yet, I
don't think.

> 3 Access to the stack at a lower level (i.e. a way to use the
> high-performance scan operators without writing a query)

Definitely going to happen.

> 4 Ability to query in-memory Java data in a compact form (e.g. arrays of
> primitives or nio buffers)

I wonder if this is just a matter of writing a special scanner or a special
flavor of join at the execution point.  The scanner for the case where the
in-memory compact form is only readable in sequential form. The
join-operator if the memory can be accessed at random.

> I know some of these are outside of Drill's scope. If so, feel free to
> disregard. But if you don't ask, you don't get. :)

They all look pretty reasonable to me.