incubator-drill-dev mailing list archives

From Camuel Gilyadov <cam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parser
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:46:12 GMT
Regarding high-performance: Query compiler is not a bottleneck
performance wise and it is complicated piece to develop, so
productivity is obviously more important here compared to performance.
Inner loops of data scanners are obvious  bottlenecks. According to
suggested architecture those are auto-generated anyway. So all
programmer-productivity arguments doesn't hold for them. So why not to
use C.
Regarding Java and high-throughput. The problem is that when java
doesn't perform it is 1000 more complicated to understand what went
wrong. With C you start VTune and everything is clear in a second.
Also with high-performance java - code readability suffers, just look
to source code of high performance java encryptors and compressors....
and they still underperform.
So I am in favor of writing beutiful java to generate high performance
C inner loops.

--
Sent from my mobile device