incubator-drill-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Drill design meeting
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 09:59:40 GMT
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hackathons for Apache projects are nothing new.
>
> Hbase has had several.  Zookeeper has had several.

These are grown-up projects, not a new Incubator podling with no code
in the repo.
Now, the first steps need to be taken, and they should best be done in the open.
The code and the SW design are is not the hard parts. The hard part
are to find a modus operandi within Apache boundaries.

> Other modes of communication are also commonly used.  Hbase has ongoing
> discussions on IRC.  Lucene does as well.  Mahout does as well.
>
> Pretty much all of these discussions are then reported for further
> discussion on the mailing list (if they have any merit).  None of this
> detracts from the fact that these communities finds these alternative
> styles of meeting very useful.

<snip>...re-iterations that non-ML comm is useful...</snip>

I fully agree, did I suggest something different?

> So Bernd, to put it concretely, what do you talk about at ApacheCon when
> you go?

Everything technical and non-technical. And sometimes about design
decisions, too.

  Bernd