incubator-drill-dev mailing list archives

From David Alves <davidral...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parser
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 19:00:31 GMT
While I also love scala, sintax wise, I think it is now pretty common knowledge that it should
not be used for high perf applications/large codebases.

There is an epic rant on the subject from coda hale of yammer. Yammer changed from being almost
all scala to almost all java.
http://eng.yammer.com/blog/2011/11/30/scala-at-yammer.html

I share this sentiment and also think it applies to other languages like groovy so like maven
I think java is the lesser evil.

-david

On Sep 12, 2012, at 1:53 PM, Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I know that no-one has mentioned this before but what about the build system for
drill?
>> I'm personally in favor of maven (lesser evil for java IMO).
>> I'd be happy to contribute that setup, if needed.
>
> If codebase mainly in Java, yeah maven (though it feels like it downloads half of the
Internet every time).

> But not so fast - did we agree on Java, yet? How about Scala + SBT [1]? Integrates nicely
with Java and is soooo much more productive ;)