From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1293567 - in /incubator/directmemory/trunk: directmemory-cache/src/main/java/org/apache/directmemory/memory/ integrations/ehcache/ integrations/ehcache/src/ integrations/ehcache/src/main/ integrations/ehcache/src/main/java/ integrati
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2012 01:02:01 GMT
Hi Michael,

> DirectMemoryStore is an implementation of the ehcache store interface for directmemory
and should try contain all the handling of normal store features,

yup that's clear, thanks!

> DirectMemoryCache is to support all features needed from directmemory to support the
store, and thus to support extra functions/features or changes of behaviour for direct memory
needed for ehcache integration which we wouldn't necessarily want to put into the core, agreed
atm this does make this a bit of a pass through layer but i can i can see several items already
that would want specific to ehcache, atm it has two features it is supplying size and capacity
in bytes of the cache.

I see, indeed saving sizeInBytes() and capacityInBytes(), it just
wraps CacheService methods, but... what prevents that
DirectMemoryCache uses directly a CacheService instance? I continue
not seeing advantages by this composition, DirectMemoryStore can
comfortably calculate these sizes by invoking the same routines.

> On the MemoryManagerServiceWithAllocationPolicyEhcacheImpl this originally was to change
behaviour of  MemoryManagerServiceWithAllocationPolicyImpl to throw boe instead of what was
the current behaviour of returning null, (which actually does cause an npe in the cacheservice
implementation which probably needs to be fixed) , but anyhow, exception behaviour handling
allows to wrap into ehcache cache exception nicely. Benoit migrated this functionality actually
into directmemory core so yes agreed this could be removed now. (though i would think about
leaving it for now maybe, as with like argument for the directmemory cache, if there is features
we want specific to the ehcache integration, that in furture we wouldnt want in the main core,
then it is can be placed here).

I would suggest to keep only lifeblood stuff in order to maintain a
lightweight design, then adding them back in a second time when the
real need comes.

thanks for your feedbacks!
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/