From "Raffaele P. Guidi" <raffaele.p.gu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2011 ([ppmc])
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 21:04:28 GMT
I followed Tim's suggestions (thanks) and wrote the report into the wiki,
ready to be signed if you all agree; this is the content:

DirectMemory

(incubating since October 2011)

Apache DirectMemory is a multi layered cache implementation featuring
off-heap memory management (a-la BigMemory) to enable efficient
handling of a large number of java objects without affecting jvm
garbage collection performance

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move
towards graduation.
1) Ensure branding requirements are met (still to be worked out)
2) Ensuring IP is cleared (closed: all initial code has commited by
raffaele guidi, which has completed the ip clearance and donation process)
3) Understanding process/decision making guidelines (new committer process
is ok, release process still yet to be worked out)

Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware
of

- We lost one mentor (still not too bad, we have others but we will miss
Christian)

How has the community developed since the last report

- Two more people have asked for inclusion in the team as committers up on
the mailing lists
- Tasks and proposals contributed by non-committers

How has the project developed since the last report.

- Healthy activity on 3rd parties integrations such as Apache Karaf
(complete with an ad-hoc module) and Apache Commons JCS (still in progress
with help from the JCS team)

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Raffaele P. Guidi <
raffaele.p.guidi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree but I think IP is cleared, I think process for adding committers
> is ok, now, and I don't really know what to do with branding. We really
> could use some help :)
> Il giorno 06/dic/2011 12:32, "Tim Williams" <williamstw@gmail.com> ha
> scritto:
>
> Great, thanks Raffaele.  I have some suggestions to offer on the
>> "three most important issues to address in the move towards
>> graduation."  I think the issues listed are critical to a 1.0 release,
>> but aren't necessarily on the critical path towards graduation.  I
>> think the previous list from November (branding, IP, and
>> guidelines[release/new committers]) are still the top three things
>> needing addressed before graduation.  The issues listed are certainly
>> important to the project but probably not so much to the board.
>> Anyway, my thoughts...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --tim
>>
>> [1] - http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2011
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 3:16 AM, Raffaele P. Guidi
>> <raffaele.p.guidi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi, as Simone seems to be a bit busy at the moment I tried to follow on
>> his
>> > last month's report. Could this help?
>> >
>> > Ciao,
>> > *
>> > *
>> > *DirectMemory *(incubating since October 2011) Apache DirectMemory is a
>> > multi layered cache implementation featuring off-heap memory management
>> > (a-la BigMemory) to enable efficient handling of a large number of java
>> > objects without affecting jvm garbage collection performance
>> >
>> > *A list of the three most important issues to address in the move
>> towards
>> > graduation.*
>> > 1. APIs finalization - the team decided to keep the singleton API but
>> > rebuilding it on top of a more flexible classic interface-implementation
>> > service layer
>> > 2. The tutorial on how to build apps on top of DirectMemory is still
>> > lacking as most of the documentation
>> >
>> > *Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be
>> aware
>> > of*
>> > - We lost one mentor (still not too bad, we have others but we will miss
>> > Christian)
>> > *How has the community developed since the last report*
>> > - Two more people have asked for inclusion in the team as committers up
>> on
>> > the mailing lists
>> > - Tasks and proposals contributed by non-committers
>> > *How has the project developed since the last report.*
>> > - Healthy activity on 3rd parties integrations such as Apache Karaf
>> > (complete with an ad-hoc module) and Apache Commons JCS (still in
>> progress
>> > with help from the JCS team)

>> PST.
The