From Ashish <paliwalash...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Will OffHeapMemoryBuffer get fragmented over time?
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2011 13:07:57 GMT
On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Daniel Manzke
<daniel.manzke@googlemail.com> wrote:
> How about the Idea Hadoop is working. Make the Size of the Slices
> configurable and asume that the Values fit into it. Or small ones get into
> One slice, but this ones are marked as dropable :)
>
> Bye,
> Daniel

I think this is what memcache does. This would be important as the for
lesser number of entries people might not use offheap. They would go
for it to store millions of entries without having to worry about GC,
and that's where our Memory Manager implementation would matter a lot.

We can also take idea from the HFile, the way HBase stores key-value
pairs there. The important distinction would be give our
implementation a Map view, as we won't be using scans to retrieve
data, and may never store keys in lexicographical order.

cheers
ashish