From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Compatibility thoughts
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:21:15 GMT
Giving my Compatibility question some thought I came to the realization.

There are three kinds of changes that can be made wrt compatibility
because there is two direction of compatibility.

Backwards compatible and forwards compatible.

In the common major.minor.point  structure

Increment the major number mean non compatible change.
Incrementing the minor number means backwards compatible  (old code will
work with the new,  but code using new features will not work with old)
Incrementing the point number is forwards and backwards compatible.  The
public interface should not change at all on point changes.

So to answer my question,  No isCompatible is not symmetric.

a.isCompatible(b)  does not imply that b.isCompatible(a)

R,
Nick