From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: Call generated classes VersionStamp
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 04:24:03 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Nick Chalko wrote:
>
>> I think we should call generated version classes  VersionStamp.
>> This should reduce confusion with our Version interface.
>>

> FWIIW: The naming of 'Version' was used because the discovery code was
> designed with the end-user (not us) in mind. Folks out there have
> classes they call Version thay we wanted to pick up. That said, we
> could teach it more aliases.
>
> BTW: What (really) is the difference between VersionMarker and
> VersionStamp? We need to get out terminology correct, I agree, I just
> don't have the answers...

Here is what he ave now
The Version interface  is an abstraction of a version.  Version's can be
compared and tested for compatible.
MersionMarker interface is composite of a Version along it a
VersionIdentifier (package name)

VersionStamp  is neither.  It does not implement either interface.  It
has a collection of use preformated strings for display.   It also has
enough information to dynamically generate a Version or VersionMarker.
(btw  we need to ensure VersionStamp.getLongVersion and
VersionStamp.getAttributes  is enough to generate a VersionMarker)

VersionStamp is a standalone Class.

R,
Nick