From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: TODOs
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:06:21 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>Ok, time to re-gen a set of todos since we have a few folks who are able to
>scratch this itch right now. Here are some things that come to my mind.
>
>1) ASF Repository
>
>Find out more about what has been implemented in the name of the ASF
>Repository, and report to this list. I know something called this exists
>somewhere (although I don't think it follows an ASF repo layout, but a Maven
>one) I'd like to poke it, prod it, test it.

ASF Repository:

About this time what I'm maintaining is the following two repository
directories:

Production Release Repository: This repository is located in dist and
mirrored to all Apache Mirrors. This is a mission critical repository
for Apache, we maintain all Apache artifacts being released for public
consumption here and it is rsynced to the www.ibiblio.org/maven
directory every 4 hours overwriting anything updated. This allows us to
manage the Apache content in the Maven repository locally which is more
acceptable because we have fully control over when it is released into
dist at Apache.
/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

Interm/Nightly/Beta Repository: This is a Maven repository outside the
dist directory for artifacts we do not want to see distributed to
mirrors or anywhere else for that matter. This is a repository for
developers to test deployment into and to "release" developmental builds
to the "Apache Developer Community".
/www/cvs.apache.org/repository
http://cvs.apache.org/repository

I haven't yet explored the idea of getting a "repository.apache.org"
virtual host going. Up to this point I wanted to see the reuse of the
existing mirroring structure to get these artifacts out to multiple
hosts. I know that Henri and others have been working on some new
download pages and scripts for redirecting to mirrors for downloads. I'd
be really interested in finding out how we can combine this sort of
Metadata with a download client to get clients downloading "load
balanced" across the mirrors. I suspect this would be a server side
redirect mechanism of some sort.

-Mark