From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Moving forward or letting go
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:54:52 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> What about a "home"? Where will depot live as a tool?  For example,
>> is it appropriate as a Jakarta Commons Component? Growth will occur
>> if the project is situated in the proper location such that users can
>> find and will use it.
>

> Hmmm... the initial idea was to go top level, but is it shooting too
> high? (I'm thinking out loud) Having as a goal to go to Jakarta
> Commons and thus using the Sandbox may be an idea.

Unfortunately,  the Depots dependencies may not make it a likely
candidate for JC, for instance, HttpClient is moving out of JC and to
the Jakarta level in the near future. There is an effort to keep
external dependencies in JC under control (even to the Jakarta level).
There are a few projects with non-standard externals, but these are
somewhat grandfathered. There may be parts of Depot that would benefit
highly by existing in JC, I'm not sure which though. In which case I
would suspect that Depot would either have to be in somewhere like
Jakarta or its own TLP.  Getting into Jakarta would attract Jakarta
developers, maybe as a TLP there is a wider audience still. I can see
this is not an easy decision.

-Mark