From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: classloader was: Moving forward or letting go
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 04:18:46 GMT
On Monday 21 June 2004 05:27, Nick Chalko wrote:
> Class loading is not a goal.
> IMHO it is orthogonal, to depot.   Depot  gets/manages a repository of
> artifacts.
> For classloading,  once you have the right jar in a known place on the
> local file system,  then something else can handle classloading.
>
> I am -1 for directly handling classloading.

Then please provide an answer to the question;

How do you intend to provide generic meta information to the Depot client, and
how is that meta information generated and handed to Depot prior to
publishing the artifacts?

And secondly; Who should be responsible to define the classloader concern,
expressed in generic meta information?

Since I suspect the answers to the above is "Not Depot's concern" and "Not
Depot", then I am sorry to say that Depot future is very bleak, and I doubt
it will receive any support from Avalon.

I hope the "not Depot's concern" stems from the lack of understanding the
problem at hand, and that you will gain that insight sooner or later.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /