From Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>
Subject how to build?
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 16:13:55 GMT
I was thinking about trying to fix those Gump failed builds and checked
out the repository.
BTW, subversion with TortoiseSVN looks pretty slick ;-)

But I cannot figure out what I need to do in order to do full build from
sources...

if I try to build Updater, it complains that Version is missing.

go to build Version.
Version complains that Common is missing

go to build Common.
Common builds ok, no problem there. but what is the proper way of
pointing version build script at the freshly build common?
could copy a JAR, but there is no jar... ok, digging into build.xml,
finding out that you have to call "ant dist-jar" in order to get the JAR
file... not very intuitive, but ok.

built the JAR and back to Version.

figured out from build.xml that it expects to find JAR files in ./lib.
Copied the Common JAR file to version/lib.
Try to build. complains that servlet API is missing. Looked up some
version of servlet JAR from maven repo and added to ./lib, modified
build.properties to point to the correct filename.
Finally it builds. At least the default target also builds JAR.

Ok, going back to Updater.
trying to build: complains that "Failed to locate (or download) antlet:
[depot-version-0.1]".
hmm. back to Version: copy contents of
version/build/depot-version/makeantlet/depot-version to my local antlets
repo: .antworks/antlets/depot-version-0.1
try to build again. now at least the build starts. downloads a bunch of
dependecies, including depot-common and depot-version (wouldn't it be
nice if it could just use the latest locally built binary?) and fails
with ~100 compile errors.

hmm, seems that depot-common is still missing from classpath, although
it was downloaded from repository?
    [javac]
C:\cygwin\home\neeme\svn-src\depot\update\src\java\org\apache\depot\update\ClasspathUpdater.java:22:

package org.apache.depot.common.util.classpath does not exist

a look in the local repository reveals the following:
cd .apache.depot/local-repository/
~ ls */*

commons-httpclient/jars:
commons-httpclient-2.0.jar

commons-logging/jars:
commons-logging-null.jar

commons-vfs/jars:
commons-vfs-20030518103800.jar

depot-common/jars:
depot-common-null.jar

depot-version/jars:
depot-version-null.jar

log4j/jars:
log4j-1.2.jar

regexp/jars:
regexp-null.jar

hmm, why nulls instead of versions? Maybe that is the problem?

ok, have to run now... maybe this was helpful and someone can help me
out? ;-)

Rgds,
Neeme