From Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>
Subject depot status?
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 11:55:53 GMT
Hi all!

I need a tool like Ruper&JJAR and while doing some serious researching
about the fate of these projects, I found out about this project (depot)
that is supposed to be the successor of those efforts?

I tried to find the homepage of Depot but there doesn't seem to exist any?
And the incubation status report
(http://incubator.apache.org/projects/depot.html) seems to be seriously
out of date as well.
The newest information seems to be available in the Wiki
(http://wiki.apache.org/general/Depot) but even that seems to be at
least couple of months old.
doesn't seem to have any depot related list, gmane neither...

Hmm... now I managed to find the mailing list eyebrowse archive
(http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=depot-dev@incubator.apache.org)
by an intelligent guess that all ASF mailing lists should go to
eyebrowse... would be nice to have a link somewhere, though ;-)
And, from the archives, I even found out the homepage URL
(http://incubator.apache.org/depot/index.html)! :-)
Not that there is much more info other than what was already on ruper
homepage. :-(

And I guess it would give a huge boost to the visibility of Depot if the
link would at least be included in the incubation status report
(http://incubator.apache.org/projects/depot.html). Currently even Google
doesn't know that the homepage exists. :-(

Also, the website seems to be seriously lacking in structure... very
difficult to navigate and to understand where is your current location
in relation to the whole site structure. As soon as I manage to get the
sources, I'll see if I can help you out with this.

So the main question for me is: what is the status with Depot?
What has been implemented? What is still to be done?
As far as I understand the code is in SVN. Are there any instructions
for getting it from there? Maybe the time has come for me finally to
start using SVN. :-)

After I have found out your status, I would be more than happy to help
you out with some features that I need (if not implemented already).

Basically, what I'm looking for is a replacement for maven. I'm not
happy how maven handles versioning and upgrading versions. And I have an
external push from my employer to replace maven with Ant. And with
version 1.6 of Ant here, I guess I'm ready to give it a try. :-)
But I'll put the details of my ideas in a separate email.

Rgds,
Neeme