From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: MD5 Hash
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:13:26 GMT
> Well, basically it should work, and the test cases are there. But as
already
> discussed on this list, it can be necessary to use external tools (like
> md5sum on linux) to generate the md5 hash. I have right now really no
> experience with pretty large files (say 10-15M) and if the Java algorithm
> can handle this fast enough. You don't want to wait up until the MD5 hash
is
> generated and write 2 programs in the meantime, right? Anyway, somebody
> stated that maven just uses a hook, so that everybody can use there own
> tool. In my opinion it is better to use just one tool (Java) for this, but
> like I stated, there could be a performance problem, as well as a
algorighm
> problem (means: handles java the md5 hash the same way as FreeBSD and
> Linux?).

Luckily, I don't think we'll (often) be downloading such huge jars. Also,
since we don't need to generate an MD5 until we do a download (when most of
our usage will be checks for newer) it oughn't impact us much. I say, let's
not worry about a performance problem until we get problems with them.

I am getting (finally) closer to being able hack this code agian. My
thinking is we associate MD5 checksum files URLs with files URLs (as
attributes), and when we decide to download one we (1) copy to an unsafe
place (2) check the checksum against that one (3) move if ok (4) fail
[exception] if not.

That said, my first priority is getting all the unit tests up and running,
and getting back into this code so I can do that easily.

regards,

Adam