From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Depot Licence(er)
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:27:52 GMT

Michael Davey wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> I'd like to add an artifact to Depot, that checks that jars in a
>> repository or more generally in a dir structure have corresponding
>> licenses, and a system to check for license conflicts given a profile.
>>
>> Suggestions before I start?
>
> Are you thinking of something that will check the headers of each file,
> like we needed for the recent license change, or something that could
> understand the LICENSE and NOTICE files?

Getting more in details:

1 - check all headers for a license header (Ant already has a task
     for it, it needs to be integrated)

2 - check that all .jar and .zip files in a directory tree have a
     LICENCE file next to them.
     For example a.jar would have LICENCE.a.@type.txt file next to it.

3 - make it check that the licences present abide to a LICENCE.profile
     file, that lists all the licences that are ok to be distributed.
     It would check that the @types of the licences abide to it and that
     the licence inside contained is of the specified type.

4 - check that the NOTICE file contains all attributions needed by the
     licenses checked in

5 - add nagging to a cron job for licence checks

other ideas?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -