From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: News from the Avalon front?
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:21:55 GMT

Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Big picture news from the Avalon front is a decision to move to a single
> specification, single container, single architecture.   As part of that
> picture the Avalon Repository package is an important sub-system.  What
> remains open or at least foggy is where the overlap is between the work
> here and the activities in Avalon.
>
> My assumptions:
>
>   1. A lot of the internal low-level code in the Avalon Repository
>      package could be replaced by content from this project.

Good.

>   2. Higher level functions such as classloader construction and
>      factory management should probably stay in Avalon.

Why? If they are Avalon specific, I agree, if not, and part of it surely
is indipendent, there is no reason why they cannot move here under their
own subsystem.

>   3. Open question - when do you guys think you will be exiting
>      incubation (Avalon Repository is a released product).

Quite soon. If Avalon starts using Depot and puts stuff here, it will
certainly help in exiting as it will increase the community.

>   4. What thoughts do you guys have?

I would really want to see all Repository implementation efforts unite
here.

   http://avalon.apache.org/repository/

I see a big duplication of functionality that can be brought in Depot.
We have an artifact called version that does advanced version
resolution. One AKA Ruper and now named Updater that gets artifacts from
a repository (local or remote) using version and it's resolution system.

I think it's time to merge efforts :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -