From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Depot vs Avalon Repository
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:43:37 GMT

J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've been trying to get a handle on all the "repository" stuff going on in the
> ASF and I'm wondering if someone wouldn't mind filling me in. :)
>
>>>From what I understand we have:
>
>   ASF Repository   -- has a mailing list.  Is mostly concerned with the
>                       repository "spec" : url's, format, etc.  No website?

It's a list where all repository efforts can collaborate, and where
discussions about repo infrastructure at Apache take place. Basically
it's a specialization of infrastructure@a.o

>   Depot @Incubator  - tools for using the Repository spec.  Includes Ruper
>                       (not very familiar) and anything else?

Also Version (for versioning).

>   Repository @Avalon- A tool for downloading artifacts from a maven-style
>                       repository.  Can also make classloaders and use
>                       Factories.  http://avalon.apache.org/repository/
>
> Mostly I'm interested in the connection between Avalon's repository project and
> Depot.  Are we duplicating effort here?

Probably.

> Is there room for some collaboration?

Yes at the very least.

> Are the goals the same?

AFAIK mostly overlapping.

There had been some discussion with some Avaloners about this before,
when we discussed on the spec.

Concrete proposal if the Avalon Repository effort is willing: we would
be happy to completely merge efforts in the overlapping bits, create
extra codebases in Depot for other bits that we don't have and that come
from Avalon Repo, and make Avalon Repo devs part of the Incubator Depot
Project.

If Repo@Avalon is willing, we would be happy to welcome them here in a
unified effort, as this has been part of the plan all along. Sorry for
not contacting you guys before, we are still ramping up ourselves.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -