From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Depot vs Avalon Repository
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:41:32 GMT
Hello!

I've been trying to get a handle on all the "repository" stuff going on in the
ASF and I'm wondering if someone wouldn't mind filling me in. :)

>From what I understand we have:

  ASF Repository   -- has a mailing list.  Is mostly concerned with the
                      repository "spec" : url's, format, etc.  No website?

  Depot @Incubator  - tools for using the Repository spec.  Includes Ruper
                      (not very familiar) and anything else?

  Repository @Avalon- A tool for downloading artifacts from a maven-style
                      repository.  Can also make classloaders and use
                      Factories.  http://avalon.apache.org/repository/

Mostly I'm interested in the connection between Avalon's repository project and
Depot.  Are we duplicating effort here?  Is there room for some collaboration?
Are the goals the same?

Sorry if this has been hashed out before.  If so, could someone kindly point me
to a link or two with the information?

Thanks!

---
  jaaron      <http://jadetower.org>