From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: MD5 Hash
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:45:18 GMT
> yes, I can enlighten you all a littel bit about MD5 hashs. The basic is
that

Ok, thanks for that. I get the gist, I get the premis. Now, more
practically...

What are the inputs to the algorythm? Meaning, we have the file, we have the
MD5 resultant hash (assuming the file on the server has not been modified),
and we have the algorythm, but do we need anything else (e.g. keys) in order
to re-compute/check the resultant hash?

Hmm, what makes folk think that the file could be changed without the MD5
hash file being changed also. I feel there has to be some private key from
the originator, to ensure that nobody could fake both.

So, if there are such keys, how do we acquire them? How do we trust them?

regards

Adam