From Francesco Vollero <razor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User data injection in VSphere
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:41:57 GMT
On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:20 AM, David Lutterkort <lutter@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 15:50 +0200, Michal Fojtik wrote:
>> to avoid many future questions how does this work I decide to write a simple howto:
>
> This is really powerful and nice, but it is very different from what
> we've called feature 'user_data' so far; we should call it something
> else, say 'user_iso' or whatever.

Thanks David, with Michal we decided this helpers was able to create a
whole FileManager interface to simplify as much as possible the
interaction with vsphere, since it is a pain to deal with soap
methods.

> We should also support straightup 'user_data', i.e. the ability to post
> a base64 encoded string on instance creation, which we will then put
> into a fixed file (say '/deltacloud-user-data.txt') in a new ISO image.

I gonna start working on it tomorrow :)

>> 3. Encode this gzipped file in Base64:
>>
>>    openssl base64 -in myfiles.iso.gz -out myfiles.iso.b64
>
> Wouldn't plain old 'base64' work here as well ?

David, forgive Michal, he's developing on OSX :)

> David

Cheers,
Francesco