From "Hugh Brock" <hbr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [DELTACLOUD-INTERNAL] User data injection in VSphere
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:02:22 GMT
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 03:55:59PM +0200, Michal Fojtik wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Hugh Brock wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 03:50:54PM +0200, Michal Fojtik wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> to avoid many future questions how does this work I decide to write a simple
howto:

> >> 1. Prepare an CD-ROM ISO image (Joilet with Rock Ridge extension) with files
you want to
> >>   access within instance
> >>
> >>   mkdir myfolder
> >>   cp file1 myfolder
> >>   mkisofs -JR myfolder > myfiles.iso
> >>

> >> 2. Gzip his ISO using standard 'gzip' utility
> >>
> >>   gzip myfiles.iso
> >>
> >> 3. Encode this gzipped file in Base64:
> >>
> >>   openssl base64 -in myfiles.iso.gz -out myfiles.iso.b64
> >>
> >> 4. Start up deltacloud-core with VMWare driver and go to new instance form
> >> 5. Copy and paste content of myfiles.iso.b64 in text box there
> >> 6. Launch instance
> >>
> >> Now, when the instance will be ready and you will connect to it, content of
> >> ISO image should be accessible after you mount an CD-ROM drive.
> >>
> >> Hope it helps someone :)
> >>
> >>  -- Michal
> >
> > This is awesome Michal. Does the instance have to have VMWare tools
> > running in order for this to work?
>
> Negative, VMWare tools are just needed to get IP address out of instance.
>
>   -- Michal

Oh, that's really cool. How does the instance know to mount it?

So that says to me that you could use this mechanism to do all manner
of data and config injection without requiring a config server at
all. For example, if your guest was configured to look in a particular
spot in the user data for a script, and that script installed VMWare
tools, you wouldn't have to pre-install them in the image.

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock@redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey