From Justin Clift <jcl...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Length of instance names in Deltacloud
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:54:13 GMT
On 02/06/2011, at 6:27 PM, David Lutterkort wrote:
<snip>
> In practical terms, we already have a feature 'user_name' for instances
> that indicates that the clouds supports user-supplied names. We could
> just enhance the XML to include the maximum size, e.g.
>
>        <api driver="..." version="...">
>                <link href="http://localhost:3001/api/instances" rel="instances">
>                    <feature name="user_name">
>                        <param name="name">
>                                  <constraint name="max_length"
>                                value="20"/>
>                                  <constraint name="pattern"
>                                value="[a-zA-Z0-9]+"/>
>                                </param>
>                    </feature>
>                </link>
>        </api>
>
> (The pattern stuff as an example of something we don't need right now,
> but might want to add at some point)

For the "pattern" example, is the general idea to communicate
the characters allowed in the name?

ie VMware (for example) may allow just the chars above, but not
things like "-", "_", "+", ";", etc.  Whereas some other Cloud
Provider might.

Could be useful when importing existing images from a given cloud
provider.  Especially if they're to then be pushed to another one.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Aeolus Community Manager