From "marios@redhat.com" <mandr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: why do instance details differ when requesting single instance/all instances?
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 09:59:50 GMT
On 26/05/11 20:37, Chris Lalancette wrote:
> On 05/26/11 - 12:39:02AM, André Dietisheim wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I just stumbled upon a change that must have been applied to the
>> REST API btw. 0.1.2 and 0.3:
>>
>> If you request the full listing of all running instances, you will
>> not get the authentication bits that was used to create the
>> instance. If you list a single instance you would get it:
>
> I've noticed 2 things when playing around with this:
>
> 1)  As you say, listing an instance one at a time vs. listing them all together
> does show different data.  In fact, if you look at the view code, you will see
> that there are a number of pieces of information that you can get from the
> single instance lookup that you can't get from the "all instances" lookup.
> It has been mentioned to me in the past that some of this might be intentional;
> that is, not all cloud providers provide rich enough detail in their "list
> instances" view to fully populate that view.
correct

  However, it would seem to me that
> *if* that data is available in the full view, we should provide it.  Does
> anyone else have an opinion here?

for ec2, there is no differentiation in the 'def instances' method
between listing only a single instance or all instances (i.e. filter_on
does the work here).
Thus I also added changes to the 'index' (all instances) xml listing to
show the password/key info if present. Also, the info wasn't displayed
at all for the 'show' html listing, so added there too.

marios