From John Casebolt <john.caseb...@jackpinetech.com>
Subject Re: 0.3.0 RC 1 and RHEV?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 00:39:27 GMT
Hi David,

On Apr 13, 2011, at 6:49 PM, David Lutterkort wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 20:12 -0400, John Casebolt wrote:
>> Just wondering what the status of the new RHEV driver is as of 0.3.0 RC 1?
>> I've tried to get it up and running, but found a few issues.
>> Before getting too much further into it, just wanted to make sure that there aren't
any known blockers that would keep RHEVM from working with 0.3.0.
>> If there are, I'll just jump up and work with HEAD...
>
> No, there aren't any known bugs in the release candidate (now rc2)
>
> For getting everything set up, the best documentation is still in
> teambox[1]
>
> David
>
> [1] https://teambox.com/projects/deltacloud/pages/rhev-m-driver-setup-instruction-for-deltacloud-api

Thanks.
I'll work with 0.3.0 RC2.
We've been using RHEV for quite a while now, and have been experimenting with direct calls
to the RHEV-M API using generic RESTful clients to get the feel of it.
We just upgraded today to the latest RHEV-M API milestone release from a few days back.

For anyone interested, we'll be calling Deltacloud from Java using RESTEasy (or another toolkit
if I can't figure out how to cleanly get RESTEasy client integrated into our Maven build).

Our overall use case is to replace a VMWare Lab Manager SOAP API-based virtualization backend
with one based on Deltacloud and (initially) RHEV-M.

The only major head-scratcher so far is the lack of availability of the IP address(es) of
the NICs on the VMs via the Deltacloud->RHEV-M API path.
I know that in RHEV 2.2, Windows RHEV guest tools provide IP info back to RHEV-M (at least
on the host level if not on the NIC level), but Linux guests do not have an equivalent agent.
I also don't see the IP address info (even for the Windows VMs) showing up in the RHEV-M api.
I see on the teambox Wiki that workarounds exist; a pointer to that info would be greatly
appreciated.

My understanding is that the IP address info will be available both in RHEV console and in
the API in a future release.

Cheers!
John