From Michal Fojtik <mfoj...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Image creation from running Instance (rev 1
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:47:06 GMT
On 03/03/11 17:39 -0800, David Lutterkort wrote:
>On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 12:05 +0100, mfojtik@redhat.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I decide to send out another patch, which fixes all issues mentioned by David.
>>
>> Also when I tried to figure out how I'll report the link in instance actions for
>> creating images, I got into a problem how I'll report params needed to complete
>> this action (like instance_id).
>>
>> So I came up with this solution and want to know if I'm wrong or not ;-)
>>
>> So I wrote a simple helper for Sinatra called 'generate_action_params' which
>> will generate this block for <link> element:
>>
>> <link href="http://localhost:3001/api/images" method="post" rel="create_image">
>>   <param name="description" type="string"/>
>>   <param name="name" type="string"/>
>>   <param name="instance_id" required="required" type="string" value="i-e90ead85"/>
>> </link>
>
>I am not convinced that that will make clients' life easier - they still
>need to know what the name and description parameters mean. Of course,
>we'd want the mandatory instance_id to show up in the URL. We could use
>a query param:
>
>        <link href="http://localhost:3001/api/images?instance_id=i-e90ead85" method="post"
rel="create_image"/>

>but you shouldn't really use query params on a URL you'll post to. This
>might be a good use for a matrix param then:
>
>        <link href="http://localhost:3001/api/images;instance_id=i-e90ead85" method="post"
rel="create_image"/>

>Haven't tried yet though how Rack/Sinatra handle them.

Good idea! I created a simple Rack middleware to do this. What about 'optional'
parameters? So we will advertise them somewhere (except docs) ? Should
I keep the generate_action_params and remove 'required' param from there?

  -- Michal

Michal Fojtik, mfojtik@redhat.com
Deltacloud API: http://deltacloud.org