From Doug Davis <...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [QUESTION] Alternative way how to use Deltacloud
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 03:41:17 GMT
David Lutterkort <lutter@redhat.com> wrote on 02/14/2011 08:23:37 PM:
> > It seems to me like a way how 'fog' or 'libcloud' is going and I'm not
sure
> > if we want to support this way as well.
>
> I don't want to go that way - we should stress that the value of
> Deltacloud lies in (a) the REST API and (b) that all the heavy lifting
> is done on the server, keeping the clients very simple.

David,
  can you elaborate on this?  What's the benefit of the REST API?  It
would
seem to me that the benefit is the abstraction layer above all of the
providers
regardless of whether its being presented via REST, Ruby, Java, or
whatever.
IMO, what people are looking for is the ability to talk to multiple
providers
with minimal specialization code.  Seems to me that offering them the
choice
of an http-hop model vs a client-side-adapter model should be left up to
the
client to decide.  Not everyone likes or can support a multi-hop model.
Either way, let them make the choice but whatever they choose give them
the
benefits of the DeltaCloud engine.

thanks,
-Doug