From Matt Wagner <matt.wag...@redhat.com>
Subject Timeout support in deltacloud-client
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:50:30 GMT
Hi all,

I want to propose adding timeout capabilities to deltacloud-client. I'm
seeing problems in Aeolus Conductor where a non-responding provider will
hang indefinitely until Apache closes the connection. I think the fix is
to allow deltacloud-client to raise an exception on timeouts instead of
trying to do so each place Conductor calls out to a provider. (A good
demonstration of this problem is to attempt to add a provider like
'http://1.1.1.1:1234/api'.)

rest-client has support for two types of timeout: an 'open_timeout' when
opening a connection, and a normal 'timeout' for an active connection:
http://rdoc.info/github/adamwiggins/rest-client/master/RestClient/Resource

I will send a quick patch that adds these two timeouts to the 'request'
method. I don't know the deltacloud-client code that well, so I'd
appreciate it if someone could let me know if there is a better way of
accomplishing this.

Best,
Matt