From Michal Fojtik <mfoj...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Rackspace driver update (rev 2)
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:12:46 GMT
On 14/02/11 22:48 +0200, marios@redhat.com wrote:
>On 14/02/11 17:19, mfojtik@redhat.com wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Sorry for reposting this patch. This patches will add support
>>for creating images from instances inside Rackspace.
>>This features is part of 'Create Image from Instance' task.
>>
>>   -- Michal
>>

>came across a couple of issues:
>

>*The password reporting thing works really nicely. I tried to use the
>password with the new 'run_on_instance' feature but got a 'not
>supported' error:
>
><quote>
>curl -F 'cmd=ls -l' -F 'password=MonFeb1422d513g1760021KE0p1bTf0'
>--user 'user:password'
>http://localhost:3001/api/instances/613408/run?format=xml
>
>CDATA[run_on_instance capability not supported by backend
>Deltacloud::Drivers::Rackspace::RackspaceDriver
>
></quote>

Yes, that's because there is no 'run_on_instance' method defined in
Rackspace driver. I'll implement it today and send the new patchset.
Thanks for this catch, I completely forgot this feature ;-)

>*couldn't see how to fire the new 'create_image' action so didn't
>test this (did you forget to include a route in server.rb or did i
>miss something?)

No, this action will just prepare Rackspace driver to support image
creation from instances. I suppose it's part of Rackspace driver so it
could get in with this patchset as well.

>*Tried to create an instance specifying only image_id (expect it to
>use defaults for realm_id and hwp_id)  but got an error:
>
><Quote>
>
>[marios@marios ~]$ curl -d 'image_id=4' --user 'username:password'
>http://localhost:3001/api/instances?format=xml
><error status='500' url='/api/instances?format=xml'>
>  <kind>backend_error</kind>
>  <backend driver='rackspace'>
>    <code>500</code>
>    <cause>CloudServers::Exception::ItemNotFound</cause>
>
><details><![CDATA[/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/cloudservers-0.4.1/lib/cloudservers/exception.rb:78:in

>`raise_exception'
>
>/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/cloudservers-0.4.1/lib/cloudservers/connection.rb:174:in
>`create_server'
>    ././lib/deltacloud/drivers/rackspace/rackspace_driver.rb:86:in
>`create_instance'
>    ././lib/deltacloud/drivers/rackspace/rackspace_driver.rb:373:in `call'
>    ././lib/deltacloud/drivers/rackspace/rackspace_driver.rb:373:in
>`safely'
>    ././lib/deltacloud/drivers/rackspace/rackspace_driver.rb:85:in
>`create_instance'
><...>
> </backend>
>  <message><![CDATA[No offering found for flavor 0 and option
>0]]></message>

Seems like my hardware_profile fallback is not working, will fix this
today. Thanks!

>*Storage Snapshots and Storage Volumes are reported as collections
>(this may be a remnant from previous version of driver) and so give
>"storage_volumes capability not supported by backend
>Deltacloud::Drivers::Rackspace::RackspaceDriver"

Yes, storage_volumes and storage_snapshots are part of 'basic' abstraction
models AFAIK so they should be here even they throw this exception.
I'm wrong ?

   -- Michal

Michal Fojtik, mfojtik@redhat.com
Deltacloud API: http://deltacloud.org