From David Lutterkort <lut...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [DTACLOUD-16] Allow listing all EC2 images
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 00:27:38 GMT
On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 14:33 +0100, Michal Fojtik wrote:
> On 08/02/11 17:25 -0800, David Lutterkort wrote:
> >On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 11:06 +0100, mfojtik@redhat.com wrote:
> >> This patch will simply allow you to list *all* Amazon images,
> >> using ?owner_id=all parameter.
> >
> >I don't really like having this special param value - we should return
> >all images when no owner_id or other criteria are specified. That's what
> >all the other drivers do.
>
> Yes, but we must also consider returning all images, since they are so many
> (6700).
> But anyway, I'm OK with returning all images and I can rework this patch to
> work like that.

Yes, it's dicy, but AFAICT, it's what all the other drivers do. We need
to make sure that users are aware of this change so that they can pass
in appropriate filter params; otherwise they'll be very unhappy if they
get thousands of images all of a sudden.

> >As to the timeout, we are really suffering from a lack of streaming for
> >long-running requests; for now, bumping the timeout is the best we can
> >do.
>
> Yes, that's right. I'll spend some time to look if there is something we
> can use for streaming to client directly.
> But I think it will be very hard to do, since we need to produce XML (which
> mean render HAML template with collection). Anyway I'll put this into
> backlog.

I agree that it's extremely hard to do, since we'd completely need to
change how we produce the response.

David