From "marios@redhat.com" <mandr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: user metadata for blob creation - S3, Cloudfiles, Azure
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:12:50 GMT
On 21/01/11 21:34, marios@redhat.com wrote:
> This adds the ability to put arbitrary user metadata during blob creation for Amazon
S3, Rackspace Cloudfiles and Microsoft Azure.

> As previously mentioned, this doesn't include the ability to update/delete individual
metadata (but planned for later - this patch is to be committed as a baseline). The main issue
is with S3. Whilst Cloudfiles and Azure provide api calls for updating and deleting metadata
after a blob is created, for S3 it is only possible to do so when creating the blob. Apparently,
S3 clients such as cloudberry explorer which allow you to update metadata actually *make a
copy of the object with the new metadata* (!) https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=172472&#172472

> Another issue which is not yet settled and for which I'd be grateful for feedback is
in server.rb I am using params to get the key-value pairs for the metadata (submitted by a
html form). An alternative, and the way the providers do it is with custom request headers
(X-AMZ-META-KEY = VALUE for S3, X-OBJECT-META-KEY = VALUE for rackspace etc). This needs some
more thought,

> marios

This patchset has been succeeded by new version which include the
comments here - 25th January 'user metadata for blob creation [v.2.0] -
S3, Cloudfiles, Azure'

marios