From Toby Crawley <tcraw...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 'Name' usage in deltacloud drivers
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 20:23:00 GMT
On 12/06/2010 11:10 PM, Ian Main wrote:

> EC2:
>
> - key/value pair tags.  Tags is probably the way to go here, tags are
>    more easily accessible in the AWS WUI.
> - user data
> - 'name' does not seem to ever show up in AWS console (bug?)

I don't have any experience with the other drivers, but with ec2:

* the 'Name' key/value tag is exposed by default in the AWS web console, and is really the
only useful option of the three

* tags cannot be set at instance creation time, but have to be applied after the instance
has entered provisioning (pending) in ec2, making
it difficult to set the name at creation time. Michal implemented this in the ec2 driver with
an create_tag call just after creating the
instance, and depending on the timing on the AWS side, sometimes the instance actually exists
(and create_tag succeeds), and sometimes it
doesn't (and create_tag fails).

Toby