From Toby Crawley <tcraw...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Added name for EC2 instances
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 14:15:49 GMT
On 11/29/2010 10:25 AM, mfojtik@redhat.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For now every single instance in EC2 could have user specified name and this name is
also reported throught API. For names I use 'tags',
> which was recently added into EC2. Tag is automaticly created after new instance is created
and assigned to that instance. When listing
> instances I'm also list all 'instance' tags and assign name based on tag name.
>
> Unfortunately, this feature is available only in new 'aws' gem, so if you want to try
this patch, you need to apply previous EC2 patch
> and then apply this patch on top of that.
>
> -- Michal

Michal:

I played with this patch, and will have to NACK it based on the following issues:

* for the name to show in the AWS console name column, the tag must be 'Name' instead of 'name'

* tagging on instance create does not work, with ec2 reporting that the instance does not
exist (in the same manner as the attach ip feature):
08:50:31,129 INFO  [STDOUT] ##### Aws::Ec2 returned an error: 400 Bad Request
08:50:31,130 INFO  [STDOUT] <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
08:50:31,130 INFO  [STDOUT] <Response><Errors><Error><Code>InvalidInstanceID.NotFound</Code><Message>The
instance ID 'i-eefbdf83' does not
exist</Message></Error></Errors><RequestID>40fbb385-6cea-4993-b333-21aaebcc5ec7</RequestID></Response>
#####

* the tag methods on ec2_driver (tag_instance, untag_instance) could be better named, since
they don't handle generic tags, but just the
'name' tag. The tag/untag methods should be generic, and allow for management of any tag on
the instance.

Toby