From David Lutterkort <lut...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 'Name' usage in deltacloud drivers
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 18:32:10 GMT
On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 20:10 -0800, Ian Main wrote:
> Either way we are going to require changes to the API.  Probably the
> easiest is to just support a notion of the maximum instance name
> length for a given provider.

How would the following work for you:

  <link rel="instances" href="...">
    <feature name="user-name">
      <constraint name="length" value="20"/>
      <constraint name="pattern" value="[crazy regexp in some yet-to-be-specified syntax]"/>
    </feature>
  </link>

In other words, we tell the client (a) that the cloud supports
user-supplied names for instances (b) what the maximum length is and (c)
the regexp pattern that the name must match (or would it more be more
helpful to indicate that through words like 'hostname' or 'alphanum' ?)

Adding this requires a few gyrations in the API internals to add
constraints to features.

> Here is my notes on what I managed to round up looking at the various
> providers API docs:

Thanks for the research - what a mess.

David