From Ladislav Martincik <lmart...@redhat.com>
Subject Question about instance states
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:27:28 GMT
Hey guys,

I have already asked the question on ICQ channel, but I think it deserves it's own thread
on this mailing list.

At the moment I'm working on Linode driver for Deltacloud Core project and I'm having problem
map all Linode instance states to our Deltacloud default states. Currently we have PENDING,
RUNNING, SHUTTING_DOWN, STOPPED. Linode has 3 other states from which 2 can be mapped to our
standard PENDING state but 1 called "Boot failed" cannot be.

There seems to be 2 obvious ways to go:

1) Create one more state which we can call UNKNOWN and pull all the other states into this
status.
pros: It's simple solution and easy to handle.
cons: Some of the states could be important to outside world and we will just dump them into
one unknown state

2) Let each driver populate different as strings to our API
pros: Transparent for outside world.
cons: Can be problematic for different clients as they could rely on predefined states for
their apps.

I would really appreciate your elaboration on this.

Thank you, Ladislav