From David Lutterkort <lut...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Sending patches to an Apache project
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:37:38 GMT
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 11:12 -0400, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>     * *Patches*
>
>       Patches are very welcome. Please send them to the development list
>       <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-deltacloud-dev/>.
>       Patches should be generated with |git| |format-patch|
>       <http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-format-patch.html> and
>       sent to the list with |git| |send-email|
>       <http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html>.
>

> Note that this is incorrect for non-committers, the process Apache uses
> is JIRA. The key to
> this is that the attach button has a legal disclaimer on it that says....
>
> {
> Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works (as per the Apache
> License <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0> ยง5)
> Contributions intended for inclusion in ASF products (eg. patches, code)
> must be licensed to ASF under the terms of the Apache License
> <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>. Other attachments (eg. log
> dumps, test cases) need not be.
> }
>

> This needs to be done for all non- committer patches, commiters have the
> ICLA which covers
> the equivalent language.
>

> Can we get this page of the site updated.

After the responses from general@, at least subversion uses a non-Jira
process. I'd like us to adopt a similar process, i.e., something along
the lines of:

      * Patch submitters must have a CLA on file
      * Patches need to be sent to the deltacloud-dev mailing list
      * After they are ACK'd, a committer will commit them
      * In some cases (e.g., largish contributions), we'll ask that the
        contribution be put into Jira

David