From David Lutterkort <lut...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse tooling for Delta Cloud
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:48:36 GMT
On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 14:09 +0200, Andersen Max wrote:
> >> Let us know what you think and as always we are very open for for
> >> feedback/contributions.
> >
> > Do you bundle the deltacloud server within Eclipse ? Since there aren't
> > any public instances (that I know of), users will have to run their own.
> >

> For now we assume users connect to an external deltacloud running locally or remotely.
>
> from what I understand deltacloud today requires native components thus I didn't
> even consider bundling it because of the many environments we would have to test/verify
it in.

Yes, when you run it under thin, there's native code involved; the
Deltacloud code itself is pure Ruby.

> If deltacloud could run in a pure JRuby setup it might be worth considering...but for
> now its external.

Benjamin Browning actually got it to work with TorqueBox IIRC.

> Another idea would be if something like jcloud would provide a deltacloud api implementation;
> that would probably fit better/easier into a portable java setup. WDYT?

That won't address the issue of needing a server somewhere - probably a
good idea though as a general-purpose client.

> > And what would you like to see added to the API to make your life easier
> > and the Eclipse integration more powerful ? What are you using as the
> > client library in Java, or are you doing straightup REST in your code ?
>
> I believe Jeff took the existing Java client library and "mutated" it
> to be compatible with the recent changes.

Cool .. have you sent them upstream ? I assume you're talking about
mtaylor's Java library
(http://github.com/mtaylor/deltacloud-tools/tree/master)

> I know there are some issues with that library in context of
> osgi/eclipse environments so we might
> have some changes for that going forward.

Sounds good. Would these issues also exist for jclouds ?

David